
Even a year ago, the impact that Facebook was having on users was none comparing to the one that is happening today, as a Fortune article I read some days ago posted. There were so facts that put me to think on some interesting stuff:
If Facebook were a country, its population would be nearly as big as the one in Brazil. If it were a TV Show, the audience would be even larger than the SuperBowl 43.
I remember that some weeks ago my parents were both freaked out about me having a Facebook account and putting in there some of my info and even some pictures of the last party I went to. But, now I would say that the users are just not young or children that are into technology. It has also reached a target that is even beyond the one the creators were initially thinking about (who were college and post-college people). Today, the newest members are mature people that some months ago were totally out of the web.
This, for us marketers, is becoming a great opportunity and some important value. It is a way of addressing the right person at the right person and making them feel they are individually spoken to, and forget about the fact of just being "consumer X" and going on to be "Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. whateveryournamemightbe".
In the article, the way that Facebook works out for marketers is compared to having the ability and opportunity to listen and take special care on each and every phone conversation that costumers might have. Their profiles are becoming a portrait of all their behaviours, likes, dislikes and what are they really into. Just take a look at some wall posts, status updates, etc... everything is so valuable!
Two months ago I was so amazed... It had been a day since I changed my relationship status from "In a relationship with" to "single" and I was soon recieving some ads offering me the chance of meeting "the cutest guys in Vancouver" as it literarily said! Wow... so it got me to think: now not just my friends now I'm single now, but another companies that might be dedicated to making people meet and fall with each other. If this is possible, what else couldn't be? Oh, and also, as soon as a I arrived to Vancouver some ads were being posted at my Facebook offering some "really good deals" for making phone calls to Mexico saying: "Are you in Canada and your family is in Mexico?". Whoaaa! What did they do to find out about my life? I felt I was infront of a Tarot reader or something. But it's cool though, because at the same time, I am feeling I'm not bombarded with lots of information in there. Just a few sutile ads.
Ok, this is a chance for marketers and advertisings to share a room with all the people that are interested on you and might share something special with the things you are caring about. But the point is knowing how to address them and take care of them without making them feel you are being super pushy and just invading their privacy! The doors for stopping whispering to the customers and have a direct personal communication with them are now opened, the decision of whether deciding to enter or not is up to business... but they need to know how, otherwise they'll just be kicked out of the room.
Give a look at the article, it's really worth it:



No comments:
Post a Comment